Stages of wet felting clothes .
1.Patterns construction .
2..Creation shape and design.
4.Washing and drying.
5.Steaming with Iron.
How to do wool felted clothes -vest from pure merino wool and natural silk chiffon ,using NUNO felting technique.
Technique: wet felting (nuno felting ).
Difficulty :Medium (not for beginners).
Operation time: 2 Days.
Ok, lets start Girls, so for felted warm vest we need merino wool about 300gr (different colours), natural fleece, silk or silk chiffon. For décor we need Mulberry silk any colours, banana fibres, angora yarn (not necessary) and anything you have for your own choose. Towel, bubble wrap, soap (I like to use dish washer ‘Fairy’ ) , water ,sand machine.
As for our art need canvas entirely, and a special form-fitting in this model is not planned – we simplify the original Pattern: combine items together with a back shelf in one sheet, ignoring the darts at the waist. Classic layout (2 layers : first layer is arranged horizontally and second is arranged in vertical position ) : take a skein after skein of wool and cover the sides of the pattern. You should pay more attention to the area of the neck, underarm and underneath. (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
2. Moisten it with water and soap, cover it with bubble wrap and lightly press it down with hands. During this stage ,I am using sand machine to lightly press down our wool. Hold sand machine for a 5 seconds at each area and do it all over the area of our vest (don’t be lazy – you can add few more seconds each time when doing this). It is really important to do it ALL OVER the area of your vest. (11,12,13,14,15)
3. Our vest will be thick therefore pockets are essential. Cut out the frame of the pockets, size of the frame should be a little bit bigger than you wishing it to be, because they will felt together with all the wool. Find a suitable place where you want your pockets to be and place them on the surface of the vest. Now when we have our double-layered layout and pockets, we continue further thicken. Pay attention to the sides of the pockets to ensure that they are not too thin and therefore no holes will be present. (16,17,18,19)
4.Time for most interesting step. Design! This is my favourite part of felting, where you can use all your fantasy. Each time it is different, unique and you explore something new. This time I chose to make a Burberry style, so I decided to use natural silk chiffon which is natural beige colour and in Burberry pattern. I cut out it into pieces to put in different areas where I want it to be. On the sides I wanted to use orange colour so I just placed pieces in different areas of the vest. Using the same colour chiffon I placed it on the bottom edges of my vest and later when we will cover these edges with wool the chiffon will curl very nicely.(20,22,23,)
5. Now we need to cover all the sides where the chiffon ends with the wool, so later on it will attach with the vest and shrink into a nice pattern. Now you are free to use your fantasy putting on all other décor silk, fibers, soya, hand dyed mulberry silk, natural curls (24)
6.Now all this beauty needs to be moisten again with water in which soap is dissolved. YOU SHOULD NOT USE EXCESS OF WATER !!! If you do, all your design can be ruined and it will not felt with wool present on the vest. So take a special funnel and pour the same amount of water on the areas where the décor is created. Water should not be too cold or too hot, it should be room temperature. (25)
7. Once again cover it with bubble wrap.
8. Press everything together with a sand machine. In this case hold it for a longer time where the chiffon is present.
9. Take off the bubble wrap, put the gloves on and start to rub lightly all over the area. Use gloves to prevent wool sticking onto your hands. So use one-use gloves. Rub it for a long time, look if décor is rubbing into the wool. If you see an excess of water just place a towel on it and slightly push it down so water is being absorbed into a towel. (26)
10. Take a special care when turning over your art work on the other side. Now you need to ‘warm up’ your vest. Here I use Wensleydale or Goat wool. It is very soft and thin and at the same time it is very warm when you wear it. Spread out wool on our vest in 2 layers, horizontally and vertically. Again moisten it up with water and soap and start to rub with the gloves. Rub it well all over the vest. (27,28)
11. Now place the pattern cut from 3 layers in the order so that we can get a vest. Place the wool where the shoulders will be, check it carefully so it would not tear and no holes will be present after. (29,30,31)
12. Take a long pipe and roll up your vest into a cylinder when squeezing it everywhere. Roll a cylinder with a long towel and tie it up with strong thread or something else. Now we start to roll a cylinder. 500 times into one side and 500 into another side. Now unscrew the cylinder, turn over on other side and again roll it 500 one side and 500 another side. (32)
13. Unscrew the cylinder again and look everywhere on to the vest, make sure there are no holes and push all the sides down. (33)
14. If everything is okay and you like your result now you can crumple on the table, rub into the bubble wrap and throw few times on the table. Do it until you see that your vest is felted. It can take up to 1-1.5 hours. (34)
15. Procedures with water ! Take your vest to the bath and start to rinse it with very hot water first and then with very cold water. This is time, when wool gets felted to the end because of quick and large temperature difference. Rinse until you not see any foam. Squeeze out all the water present in the vest. At this point I take my wool felted creatures to the laundry machine, but ONLY on the rinsing or spin mode. (3-5MIN).Don’t wash a wool felted creature with laundry machine !!!
16. Take it out from laundry machine, check it. Now we can see that our vest is slightly smaller than it was before. It felted up to the necessary size. Put the vest on the mannequin, pull it where needed, all the sides, bottom, an area of the underarm. Rub and stroke any ridges and incurves, breast, sides (all the way body figure) and this is how you leave it to dry it out over the night. (35,36,37)
17. The next the when your vest is dry and is formed to body figure you can iron it with an iron which has steam doing it from both sides. Again stretch all the vest to all sides. Now you can see how nicely chiffon shrink with the wool and how shiny is a mulberry silk.
18. That’s all for now. I wish you more inspiration and new ideas. ALWAYS YOURS, Nadin Smo Design ! ;)xxx